If your child will be entering Kindergarten in September 2019 – please read this carefully! Application Process for Programs of Choice
Langley Schools are proud to offer several Programs of Choice located in various sites throughout the District. Entry into these programs is by application only. These programs include:
- Early French Immersion (Kindergarten – Belmont, James Kennedy)
- Late French Immersion (Grade 6 – Alex Hope, Noel Booth, Betty Gilbert)
- Fine Arts (Kindergarten – Langley Fine Arts School)
- Fundamental (Kindergarten – Coghlan, Langley Fundamental Elementary)
- Montessori (Kindergarten – Uplands)
- U Connect (Kindergarten – Simonds)
- Outdoor Education (K-3 – Fort Langley)
The online application process will be in effect for families wanting to apply for first year entry into any choice program for September 2019. The application process will be open from 12:00pm (noon) Monday, October 1, 2018 to 12:00pm (noon) Monday, October 15, 2018. Families will need to access the District Website for using this link: Registration in Programs of Choice to complete the online process. If your child has a sibling already in the same program, it is important that you indicate this in your application and you will need to provide the sibling’s 9 digit P.E.N. (Personal Education Number). If you are unsure of this number, please contact the sibling’s school.
At the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education held on December 8, 2015, the Board voted to adopt changes to Policy 5084 (Application to Enter Choice Programs). The significant changes to the policy include:
- Moving to an on-line registration process for entry to a choice program in the following school year;
- Limiting a parent’s choice to a maximum of two programs;
- Application 11 months prior to entry point into the program
- Changing the priority ranking for accepting students to a choice program to favor Langley resident students;
- A random draw process for selecting eligible students when there are more applicants than seats for a particular choice program.
By November 15, 2018, all families will receive an email indicating if your child has been accepted into a program of choice. Families will have 7 days to electronically accept or reject an offered seat. After that time, unclaimed seats will be offered to waitlisted applicants. (Please ensure that your computer settings do not block School District 35 emails and check your Spam or Junk folder so that you receive messages from the School District.)
Placement into choice programs will be prioritized in the following manner:
- Langley residents with siblings in the same program
- Langley residents
- Non-Langley residents with siblings in the same program
- Non-Langley residents
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of available seats, the District will use a random draw process to assign either a seat or a waitlist number. If a seat becomes available and your child is the highest on the waitlist, you will be contacted with an option to accept or reject that seat. Families will have 7 days to respond electronically to an offer.
Please refer to the regulations in Policy 5084 at:
Should you require assistance please contact the School Board Office at 604-534-7891.